Thursday, May 24, 2007

Jackson Kemper, Nicolas Copernicus, and Simeon the Pillar-Dweller

There’s a combo!

Today’s People of the Day in the Episcopal Church:



Jackson Kemper, missionary bishop (1789-1870)









Nicolas Copernicus, priest and scientist (1473-1543)




And in the Orthodox Church, Simeon the Pillar-Dweller (521-596). (No icon available so far.) This, by the way, is Simeon Stylites the Younger, not to be confused with Simeon Stylites the Elder, another pillar-dweller.

There seem to be more icons of the elder fellow.

(See also this slightly confusing but fascinating description of Simeon the Elder – or Younger? The dates are a little contradictory in this text. But the picture is great.)
This is where Simeon Stylites (the Elder, I think) had his pillar. It's in Syria.

Finally, here is a beautiful icon of Simeon Stylites (definitely the Elder -- I know, it's not his day, but it's a great icon) with two other saints, Stylianus (with a child) and Onouphrious (Humphrey), with the flowing beard carefully arranged for modesty.
More on this fabulous icon here. (Padre Rob is going to like this one.)

Holy One of blessing,
You grace us with companions
of varied gifts and temperaments.
Flawed and holy,
they speak to us
of the many paths to you
in the Spirit of Christ, Saviour.
Amen.

12 comments:

lauraj said...

Jane, Saw your great comment at PJ's. Are you connected to Guilford? I'm an alum and have only heard briefly and third-hand about some of the various racist stuff happening. Nice to meet you!

Jane R said...

Yes, I've been teaching there since last year. (My bio on this blog, as the "Greetings" note at the top indicates, is way down in the right-hand column.) Great to have you visit this blog! If you go to the archive you'll find links to some of the Guilford occurrences in one of the articles from, hmmm, I think March. It's in the post that has the words "Fox News" in the title. (There may be two posts by that name, so look at both. Sorry, I'm writing this in a rush and can't go look for the link.)

When did you graduate? And where are you now? Do you ever come back to campus?

Jane R said...

P.S. Just checked your blog and see you are in Asheville! And at a feminist retreat center, no less. We'll meet some day, I'm sure. I just got back from the mountains a week or two ago. And Magdalene, who popped in (to the blog) to say hi to you, is an old friend/acquaintance and very good people.

lauraj said...

Jane, Yep, I'm out here with Mel and Beth, Jane and Jerry, Lee and Alice ... but if you've only been at Guilford a year you may not know all these retired faculty friends of mine. I haven't been to the campus in years. I graduated way back in 85. I saw Kerry O. not long ago when she was here to meet some alum. She and I are of the same Guilford vintage. I loved being there. Hope you enjoy it too.
Peace!

Jane R said...

Two years. It's my second year. So I met Mel and Beth at Carol and John's big hoopla earlier this academic year, and of course I hear about them all the time. And I'll see Karrie today -- am giving a workshop this afternoon to people at the Advancement Office. (Other than that I'm officially "away" and in hiding writing and will soon be on the road again for more of the same.)

June Butler said...

Jane, the icon of Simeon Stylites is lovely. I went to the site you linked to and read the explanation of this somewhat puzzling representation.

As I was reading of his time spent on a pillar to escape the world, I had the irreverent thought, "Where is the rest of him? Are his legs squeezed inside the column?" Bad and literal-minded me.

Anyway, it's still beautiful.

Jane R said...

Irreverent is good. It doesn't mean we aren't reverent at the same time. I wondered where his legs were myself. I've seen some other representations where he is standing or sitting on a kind of little platform up at the top of that pillar. I love the icon - I want to find out more about those two other saints.

Kirstin said...

Maybe the top of the pillar is his bathtub...

Don't mind me; I need to post a pic of the most horrible chalice ever (I was given it on Sunday), but I'm at John K's taking care of his neurotic cat, and my camera's in Berkeley.

I love that your blog exists.

Edward said...

I believe it was revealed elsewhere that Mimi has pretty legs, so naturally she would be concerned :-)

Jane R said...

I think this may indicate also, or more, that Mimi appreciates men's legs...

June Butler said...

Mimi appreciates men's legs...

Actually, Jane, I must confess that it's more than an appreciation.

Jane R said...

Ah, another leg woman.

There are reasons why I like to watch World Cup soccer, and it isn't always pure love of sport (which I don't have that much of anyway)...