Friday, June 29, 2007

Feast of Irénée de Lyon (Irenaeus to you estadounidenses)

The glory of God is the human person fully alive

and

the life of the human person is the vision of God.

Padre Mickey the hagiographer is on vacation, and I am flying to Portland, Oregon at the crack of dawn to celebrate the ordination of a friend there. (She's being ordained a transitional deacon and I will likely have to miss her ordination to the priesthood six months from now since I will be on duty in Greensboro.) So, two of the four Irenaeus things I want to share will have to wait.

The two quick ones I can offer right away are 1) the quote above, and 2) this link to James Kiefer's bio of Irenaeus.

Also, this image of Irenaeus, which is from Hungary.

I call the man Irénée because I first heard of him in relation to Lyon when I was growing up in France. It took me years to put two and two together and figure out that the early bishop of Lyon (then Gaul, now France) was the same guy born in Smyrna (present-day Turkey) who wrote Adversus Haereses. I am a little slow sometimes.

1 comment:

johnieb said...

But at least grandmere is back.