Thursday, August 9, 2007

Benediction meets Simchat Torah

I apologize to those whom the comparison of these two celebrations might offend (it will not offend many Christians but could seem sacrilegious to Jews), but I'm talking flavor, not meaning.

To understand what I'm talking about, visit Paul, a.k.a. the Byzigenous Buddhapalian. Who got it from Rob, a.k.a. Padre Rob+. Make sure you watch the video.

My remarks in the BP's comments section elaborate a bit more and introduce the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament//Simchat Torah analogy.

SVO-Ed, you'll have some thoughts on this one, I'm sure.

Very, very interesting. At any rate I agree with Paul. Rob is still a bit perplexed. ;-)

2 comments:

Edward said...

I couldn't get it to play for some reason. The very little bit I saw was intriguing. The analogy to Simchat Torah reminds me of the relationship of the Gospel procession to the Hakafah.

Jane R said...

It plays on Rob's site -- at least that's where I watched it. There's now a whole mess o' comments about it, with some explanation from Luiz, who apparently started this whole thing ;-). That is, he didn't start that style of worship (he's rather appalled by it, as is most of the crowd in that set of comments) but he supplied the video. Very interesting background info from him; not all of it happy-making, but as a professor I can suspend my desire for total happy-making-ness when I observe religious phenomena. I still think it's fascinating. Plus I like that kind of music, though not in that particular instrumentation! (Or lack thereof.)