Sunday, July 13, 2008

Anglicans Online on women bishops: a must-read

I always love Anglicans Online's editorial reflections, which post every Sunday. Sometimes I forget to read them. I remembered this week, and all I have to say is
WOW

This is not usually my reaction to AO's essays. More often it is a discreet but deep, satisfied murmur of approval.

This time it is a huge letting out of a sigh of happy admiration.

The story begins with the tale of Irina Sendlerowa, about whom I read when she died many weeks ago and about whom some of this blogging community posted. Her face, radiant with goodness, is on the AO page too.

What does Sendlerowa have to do with women in the episcopate? Read and find out.

And this is not happy-clappy mush. There are steely, astutely reasoned arguments in the essay.

Not that there isn't a place for happy-clappy. But this is more: thought and joy, together. AO are always good at that combination, but they have outdone themselves.

Enough ecstasies from me. Go ye and read.

Once the week is over, I'll find the permalink and post it. For now, the essay is on the front page.

5 comments:

Ken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow indeed. I read about Irena Sendlerowa last week in Glos Polek, the publication of the Polish Women's Allience to which my S.O. and her mother both belong. It seems that Sendlerowa has risen to become a figure of profound admiration. It is disturbing to read that she was put up in 2007 for the Nobel Peace Prize, and that Al Gore won it instead. Heroism and self-endangerment lose out to rhetoric. I don't know if a Cause has been initiated for her at the Vatican (I presume she was Catholic) but then again, Bartolome de las Casas hasn't been canonized either.

Fran said...

That was brilliant. I had heard of her and was moved by the context of her story and the women episcopate.

Thank you so much Jane.

it's margaret said...

Oh wow! I am gratefully humbled.
Thank you for sharing the link to this.

johnieb said...

I'm going through several days of posts; I've just listened to the wonderful Samba music!

This is a most beautiful reminder of the power of the Spirit in the life of a child of Godde: St. Irina.