Thursday, January 24, 2008

Silence (from the Desert Fathers via Thomas Merton)

Behold, my beloved, I have shown you the power of silence, how thoroughly it heals and how fully pleasing it is to God. Wherefore I have written to you to show yourselves strong in this work you have undertaken, so that you may know that it is by silence that the saints grew, and that it was because of silence that the power of God grew in them, because of silence that the mysteries of God were known to them.

***--Ammonas, Desert Father, disciple of St. Anthony, quoted by Thomas Merton in Contemplative Prayer (1969) (yes, a posthumous publication)

Having offered a Latin American liberation theology series here during the twelve days of Christmas, I'm thinking of offering some kind of contemplative prayer series during Lent. Stay tuned. Requests and suggestions welcome.

P.S. Good news coming soon about some of my writings on prayer.

1 comment:

johnieb said...

Dare I ask (Silly question): Reprint?

Waiting for news in silence is a joy.