Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Héloïse and Abélard lived here

I had been here before, by chance. This time I went looking for it. I only had a cheap disposable camera with me on this trip, but this picture turned out all right. I have a thing about Héloïse and Abélard, and I teach their story and their writing.

The sign says that this is where they lived in 1118 and that the house was rebuilt in 1849. So it's not the original, but it is the very place.

It is on the Ile de la Cité on the Quai aux Fleurs. Notre-Dame is nearby. Héloïse's uncle Fulbert was a canon there.

Click on the photo to enlarge.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Moi aussi. I have a "thing" about Pierre and Heloise. Their story has held me enthralled for a long time and I have yet to forgive Bernard for the condemnations of Abelard (I admit it; I carry grudges).
What brilliant, passionate people! I trust there are still sparks in those sabbaths the blessed ones see.