Friday, June 22, 2007

Saint Alban, martyr

What kind of Anglican would I be if I didn't honor Alban, martyr in Britain?

I'm in the middle of a day of writing work, with a bit of travel later on, so I refer you to the great hagiographer of the blogosphere, Padre Mickey, for a biography of Alban and meditation upon his life, but here are a couple of images. The first, of the martyrdom, is from the middle of the 13th century and the Web tells me it's by the historian and artist Matthew Paris, a monk of St. Alban's. Sounds awfully early to me for a signed work, but if we had Giotto and way before that, Praxiteles, I guess we can have Paris. Who knew? More evidence of the contribution of monasteries to civilization.


The second is a contemporary Orthodox icon by Adrian Hart. Alban is honored as a protomartyr by the Orthodox Church in the West.


Another Alban-related tip of the hat to my esteemed colleague in Greensboro, Padre Rob, Episcopal priest with an Orthodox heart.


And see (listen) below for a Friday musical meditation.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks for the tip on Padre Mckey and Padre Rob - I linked you to my blog on Alban.

johnieb said...

And thank you for directing me to this charming habit of da Padre.

Jane R said...

Thanks, Ann, and thanks for stopping by! And hi, faithful johnieb! El Padre is off on vacation for a bit so we're on our own again. 'tis summer. I'm not terribly present either...

johnieb said...

And grandmere's at the beach, and I'm finishing *Unmasking the Powers*.
Lazy Summer days, if yer not a scholar, grateful for no students, grading, and classwork.

Jane R said...

Ann -- the link doesn't work... But I see from reading your blog the direct-entry-way that you are on vacation, or at least away. Hope you have a good trip!