Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Italy and Turkey and "R and R"

No, not that kind of R&R. Alas. But a very interesting article by my Mediterranean brother, once again a comparative piece on Turkey and Italy. An earlier Turkey-Italy piece is linked here. The latest, just in, is here. Don't blame my brother for the wiggy punctuation, I think they have a bad copyeditor at the Turkish Daily News.


In case you've forgotten where all those Mediterranean countries are, here is a map.

For more instructive and fun geography, visit my buddy Paul, the Byzigenous Buddhapalian.

3 comments:

johnieb said...

It is so refreshing to read journalism on real topics; it makes me weep. I wouldn't know where to begin to look for this in the U S. OK: McClatchey (sp?)

Fran said...

This is fascinating. And I agree with Johnieb's comment... Real topics.

Plus - who doesn't love Paul's geography lesson? It makes me - who thinks she is reasonably good at it - recast my (not always so)humble gaze.

I thought it was interesting to read the earlier piece from November in the context of what has happened since then.

And the anti-abortion campaign - listen, I am no lover of abortion, but banning it is to pull weeds at the surface and not the roots for starters. And beyond that - or perhaps more importantly if I want to admit it, this is another opportunity to control women's wombs. But hey, that's just my take.

Of course, I am one who would rather look through a broad lens at what the concept of life is and not break it down to abortion, end of life care and the preservation of male/female marriage.

Thank you Jane.

Paul said...

Thanks for pointing us to intelligent articles, nepotistic or not. And thanks for the linky love.