Wednesday, October 15, 2008

TWENTY DAYS

Twenty days till Election Day in the U.S.

I am swamped, as many of you know, so I'm not canvassing or putting in much time beyond things that can be done at the computer, but I am signing up to volunteer on Election Day. I don't teach on Tuesdays till the late afternoon and I think I am going to change my office hours that day, exceptionally, so that I can stay out of work till about 3:30 p.m. I'll be getting back from out of town (academic conference) the previous evening, but I can get up bright and early to drive people to the polls or do some monitoring of polling places -- more likely the former, though I am checking in with the campaign to make sure I'm useful and go where I can do the most good in my local community.

What are YOU doing on Election Day?

What are you doing between now and then?

This isn't a guilt trip (okay, maybe just a little), more like a solidarity call. You don't have to do much. But do something. Even a little something. You'll be helping your country. And therefore helping a lot of people. And you'll feel good.

Make that phone call.

Or sign up online.

20 days.

Brought to you by your daily ¡Sí, se puede!

Activated till the polls close on November 4.


3 comments:

Algernon said...

Still no return phone call on being a pollworker, so I am going the route of being an election "protector" - helping prevent people form being improperly denied their right to vote. It requires a drive to Albuquerque for training...

Ken said...

I have been a pollworker. Jersey pays $200 tax free for the work. I won't do it again. It's complicated and you've got a 15 hour day.

What am I doing? I'm voting for Obama. I don't really want to, but Robert F. Kennedy is dead, and I don't want that brain-dead zombie to win. He's frightening. McCain last night looked like Conrad Veidt in The Man Who : he had this pasted-on smile that never altered. Shivery. Ultimately, Joe Biden is deciding for me. If either of these guys dies, do I want Biden or The Divine Sarah as President? Picture your President riding to her inauguration on a moose.

Ken said...

That Veidt movie was supposed to be "The Man Who Laughs."